Saturday, June 25, 2011

Redakai! First Impressions

Redakai has taken trading cards by storm since it's release a few weeks ago, and it's no wonder. I finally got my hands on a couple of structure decks and a few friends to play against, and got to know all about it!

I'll be writing a series of posts on the game, but just to get the ball rolling,  a few observations:

  • Seriously, the cards look amazing. The photos and videos you see online can't do justice to the 3D animated effects, especially with the overlaid attacks. The clear part of the card doesn't muddy or obscure the underlying cards much at all, even when stacked a few cards deep.

  • Getting started with the basic game is fast & easy. I recommend playing a hand or two of "basic" style just to get they lay of the cards. You'll switch quickly and smoothly to advanced rules from there.

  • You can start with just a couple of structure decks like I did, but if you're planning to play, I recommend the Redakai Hobby Edition Championship Set - not just for the 44 Cards though. The Character Bay, Screen, Counters & Draw Deck really keep things organized nicely on the game table.


And a little pro-tip from me to you: Don't forget to return attack cards to your opponent before you grab them up and shuffle! (Yep, that happened in the first game!)

All in all, I played several games today and enjoyed it immensely. It is easy to learn, but it will take some skill (and a good deck) to master! Please subscribe to our RSS feed to stay in touch. I'll have more details and tips on Redakai: Conquer the Kairu soon!

No comments: