Tuesday, June 16, 2009

NES Review #2: Where's Waldo?

To start, I'd just like to point out that in other countries, Where's Waldo is know as Where's Wally. That's the good news.
Moving on, there are few games that are as historically bad as Wheres Waldo? for the NES. It's no surprise that the game has not been made for newer generation systems.
I would have loved to have been in the production meeting at THQ when someone suggested making one of the most boring books ever into an interactive Video Game.
The thing I would have liked even more was the favorable reaction that suggestion must have received, because the game was eventually greenlit and found it's way into homes nationwide.
And when I say nationwide, I mean the 4 people that bought it.
I don't think I have to go into what a Where's Waldo video game entailed, but I will.
The focus of Where's Waldo is to find "Waldo," who no matter the weather, always wore his trusty striped Turtleneck and matching ski hat. Whether he's on a beach, or in the middle of a snowstorm, Wally is always there, smiling and waiting to be found.
Like most video games, there were varying levels of difficulty, with a time limit to match. In this case, you had your choice of 10 minutes, seven minutes and five minutes.
Basically, the only reward from Finding Waldo is being able to tell your friends: I just wasted 10, seven or five minutes of my life.
As far as I know, there was no light at the end of the tunnel when he was found. No grand prize, nothing.
If you must play this game, I suggest doing it alone and not telling anyone what you did. It's just safer that way.

No comments: