Thursday, May 7, 2009

Star Trek: Cool?

The buzz around the office is that the New Star Trek movie is not only going to do well, but is going to be one of the biggest movies of the summer.
This has led some around these parts to wonder: Is Star Trek suddenly cool?
I've talked about the new Star Trek movie multiple times in the blog and will be seeing it the first chance I get.
But I have a different view than others of it. I've only seen a few episodes here and there, and couldn't tell you the first thing about the actual intricacies of the show.
For some in the office though, who have been following the show since as long as they can remember, it's a little weird that Star Trek is in the mainstream.
Sure, everyone who's alive at least knows about Star Trek, but other than Spock and Captain Kirk, who knows what's going on in that universe?
I'm not shy about my dislike for the Transformers movie. I don't think it has to do with any of the actual storylines in the movie, I just think if Shia Lebouf yelled the word "No" one more time, I probably would have thrown my remote at the TV.
If the acting is better in Star Trek, then I think it will be a success. If it's just another typical action movie that happens to have funny costumes, then I think it may feel the wrath of (Khan) moviegoers.
I think just about everyone in this office will be seeing the movie, so the buzz will keep going for weeks to come.
There will be a review of the movie sometime next week, but if you guys see it, make your feelings known right here! (Spoiler Alerts, please.)

No comments: